Jan 10, 2010

The dinosaur farm

It's been frigid cold here in NW PA, much like the rest of the United States this week.  This leaves ample time to be inside and work on creative passions--like blogging--but it is not the best motivator for taking photos.  At least not for me!  I like to feel the button on the camera when I push it.

Nonetheless, the best medicine for cold weather in January is movement--up and out of my seat, bundled up, and to my vehicle.  A Canon in one hand, some coffee for added warmth in the other. 

One of the things I find myself photographing over and over is barns.  This particular barn is just a few miles down the road.  I've photographed it in just about every season and soon, I fear, its owners (who still live in the adjacent house) will surely have me arrested for stalking.

The other side of the barn is completely fallen in.  But this must have once been a beautiful farm, I'm sure.  It's now living its final years as a would-be ghost of its own past.  A reminder, perhaps, of why the small farm today is so important to regenerate.  We've become a nation of convenience, driving one of our country's mainstays into extinction.  The local farmer is a dinosaur on his own acreage.

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow barn lover, I am a big fan of this photo with its gorgeous tones and delicate colors. It certainly says winter in NW PA.

    I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous picture. I don't miss winter—I think it is finally gone here, but this is winter at its very best. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete